Sunday, December 7, 2014

Oh Theory- Semester Reflection

Welp, I guess this is my last blog post, so perhaps I will keep it short and sweet. This week helped me wrap up a lot of loose ends to theory. When we initially started with Appadurai this semester it was so much information to take in but I was intrigued by what I knew was going to come throughout the weeks ahead. Reading, and going over Appadurai again this week has simply solidified some of the theories we have already learned about and has strengthened my understanding of Appadurai's theory.
As the semester does come to a close, I think Appadurai is still my favorite theorist. I don't know what it is about the five dimensions he emphasizes, ethnoscapes, mediascapes, technoscapes, financescapes and ideoscapes, but they just all make sense to me in helping me understand theory, specifically his, as a whole.
What's interesting is, now I wonder, what is real, even more than I did when this class just begun. However, I believe this is due to my ability to think more critically at this time.
"There is a battle of the imagination," (518) writes Appadurai, and I believe that battle has infected our culture as a whole. Who is to say what is real and what is imagined? Who is to say what is imagined and what it real? Only those that think critically can begin to uncover these "truths".

No comments:

Post a Comment